- Why did you choose TPC?
I had done some different types of Pilates before, but found that old school Joe resonated strongest with me. When I decided to make the leap into teaching, I started researching courses in classical Pilates with an element of apprenticeship. I wanted a programme which was rigorous, challenging and internationally recognised.
- How did you originally find out about TPC?
I had a discussion with Ellie Carr, the owner of the Pilates Hub in Edinburgh (where I was a client) about my ambition. The courses that looked suitable were all London based. She said “funny you should ask but…” and it just so happened that Lorna Magee was starting up the TPC training programme at the studio I attend 2 miles from my house. The stars were aligned!
- Why do you want to become a Pilates teacher?
After a 30 year career as an architect, I had decided that I needed a complete life reboot. I knew I wanted to go into health and fitness coaching of some sort and also needed an intellectual challenge. Pilates ticked all the boxes.
- What are you enjoying most about your training so far?
That’s a hard one – everything! Short list below:
- Anatomy – always wanted to learn more about it.
- The positive feedback you get from teaching (something you seldom get in the world of architecture and construction..).
- Seeing the benefits to the practice clients
- Developing my own practice.
- The online resources are huge so there is no lack of information.
- The course is very well paced and I like the fact that your knowledge is constantly tested.
- I have been very lucky to be working with Lorna Magee in Edinburgh. She is so knowledgeable and an inspirational and patient teacher.
- What are you finding most challenging about the training so far?
There are a lot of exercises to learn! Add in the levels and the equipment and the adaptations…..At the beginning this seemed like a mountain to climb, but through study, practice and teaching, it’s becoming second nature. The more you learn, the deeper you understand the method and eventually it all links up and makes sense.
- How are you finding TPC TTP during this season of Covid?
I missed the studio a lot, but managed to get a lot of online teaching hours in as everyone was desperate to work out! There was plenty of time to study too.
- Do you have any tips for potential future TPC teacher trainees?
Yes – do it!
- What do you hope to do once you have graduated from TPC TTP?
I hope to teach in Edinburgh and am looking at the potential of running sessions in France as we spend a lot of time there.